There has been a lot in the press about the increase in Type 2 Diabetes linked to obesity but one of the most frightening things about this is linked to the number of diabetic amputations which has risen to 25,527 between 2013 and 2016 compared to 22,092 between 2010 and 2013.
Even more terrifying is the fact that whilst these are most common in patients over 65 they are also being carried out on patients in their thirties who have type 2 diabetes brought on by obesity.
Just eating healthily can help you to lose weight and will reduce your risk and I know that my plans on Weight Away are designed for you personally to help you do this so if you want to know more just get in touch.
You can receive lots of healthy recipes like this one to help you on your way
295 calories per person
4 teaspoons of olive oil
500g skinned and boned chicken breast and cut into bite size pieces
240ml chicken stock made with 1 stock cube
2 medium carrots cut into long thin strips
2 sticks celery chopped
2 shallots finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
100g button or sliced mushrooms
240mls dry white wine
240mls skimmed milk
8 teaspoons of cornflour
100g cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the chicken and cook until brown and cooked through then remove from the pan and set aside in a casserole dish to keep warm
- Add the vegetables to the pan and lightly stir fry adding the wine and letting it reduce before adding the chicken stock.
- Simmer for about 6-8 minutes until the vegetables are cooked and the liquid is reduced by half
- Meanwhile prepare the cheese sauce by gradually blending the milk into the cornflour. Bring to the boil stirring all the time. Simmer or 1-2 minutes until the sauce is thick and smooth. Add half the cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove the vegetables from their cooking liquid using a slotted spoon and spread them over the chicken pieces in the dish
- Stir the remaining vegetable liquid into the cheese sauce and season to taste.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetable and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Place until hot grill until lightly brown
Serve with broccoli and a small portion (100grams of new potatoes for an additional 100 calories this brings the dish to 400 calories). You can adjust the amount of potatoes for guests if desired or for men