If you want to have a chicken pie and are looking for a quick and easy recipe this Spanish twist is great.
This adds onto last weeks blog when I used pastry that I had cut up and kept in the freezer to top pies. This was made using the second piece I already had in the freeszer
Having chicken breasts in the freezer, some herbs and spices to hand and some tinned chopped tomatoes means that you can rustle up a very quick meal when you get in from work you just need to remember to get the chicken and the pastry out of the freezer in the morning.
Just planning your evening meals for a week will help you to stay on track if you are trying to lose weight; will help you to eat more healthy; will stop you throwing away unused food and most of all can help you save money.
You can serve this pie with some boiled potatoes or just with veg if you want
Chicken Pot Pie with Spanish Twist
Paprika Chicken Pie
25 minutes preparation 15-20 minutes cooking
450 calories per serving
½ pack x 320 grams ready rolled puff pastry sheet
Olive oil used as a cooking spray
1 red onion chopped finely
500 grams skinless boned chicken breasts cut into cubes or quorn/tofu if vegetarian
1 teaspoon of paprika
Pinch of saffron soaked in 2 tablespoons of boiling water
2 tablespoons of dry sherry
400g of chopped tomatoes with garlic (use ordinary tomatoes and add a clove of crushed fresh garlic)
1 chicken stock cube
1 egg beaten
Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6/200ºC/fan180ºC and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Unroll the pastry and lightly roll with a rolling pin until 20cm x 20cm and cut into 4 squares and chill in the fridge.
- Spray a non-stick deep frying pan with the cooking spray and cook the onion and chicken pieces for 5 minutes until browned all over. Also add the fresh garlic if using. Add the paprika and saffron with its soaking water and cook for 30 seconds
- Pour in the sherry and bubble for 30 seconds. Then stir in the chopped tomatoes and chicken stock cube and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked and sauce has thickened slightly.
- Meanwhile remove the pastry from the fridge and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops of each pastry piece with a little beaten egg and bake in the oven for 15 minutes until golden and risen. Serve each portion of chicken with a pastry square.
Serve with 100 grams new potatoes, broccoli and carrots.
When you are trying to lose weight you can often think that some things are out of bounds
One of these is pastry and if you are like me you may find yourself really craving a pie particularly as the weather gets colder.
I find that buying packets of ready made puff pastry and cutting it into blocks to put into the freezer means that I can add a pastry topping to meals without overloading on the calories.
One of my favourite meal is salmon wrapped in pastry served with vegetables. This is a very easy meal that you can have on the table in under 30 minutes so why not give it a go.
To cook this you just need a salmon fillet and a strip of ready made puff pastry.
I used a smoked salmon fillet (which is why it looks a bit dark) and just put a teaspoon of pesto sauce on top before wrapping it in the pastry strip then baked for 20 mins at 180 degrees.
Just serve with whatever vegetables or salad you like and you will find it very satisfying and filling.
I buy Jus-Rol puff pastry https://www.jusrol.co.uk/products/puff-pastry and cut into strips for individual serving 50 gram servings to add to pies and keep in the freezer.
Next week I will share a great chicken Spanish pot pie recipe that uses the same idea.
I know that often people say that you should drink between 6–8 glasses of water a day and generally I try to do this. There are lots of things that make it important
- it helps to keep your body working at its best
- it can help to reduce cellulite
- it can help you feel fuller if you drink before a meal
- it helps your complexion
- it is low cost
- has no sugar
- won’t damage your teeth
and I could go on, but this week I really realised why it is so important. On Tuesday I was very busy and really didn’t drink much at all and certainly not my 6-8 glasses of water. By Wednesday I felt I might be getting a water infection and by Thursday I was on the phone to the doctors as it had really taken hold
If you haven’t had a water infection be pleased, as they are not that pleasant and the constant feeling of wanting to pee but then not being able to and having a burning sensation is something to be avoided.
Guess what the first advice with the dose of antibiotics was?
Yes to drink plenty of water and avoid alcohol and caffeine.
I won’t be making the same mistake again if at all possible
So just think how much are you drinking each day and would you want the benefits
So as the summer holiday season comes to the end are you looking back thinking that you wish you had lost the weight you promised yourself you would.
Lots of us start the year with great intentions and plan to lose weight but then find that the weeks just fly by and by the end of summer we are still not at the weight we want to be. So
- if you are looking at the photographs of your summer holidays and are not happy with how you look
- if you have spent the summer suffering with your thighs rubbing together in the heat
- if you are getting out of breath when you walk upstairs
- if your doctor has told you are facing diabetes or other health risks
- if you have dieted only to put weight back on again
- if you really want to get yourself healthy and in shape for life then Weight Away has the answer.
If you want a free no obligation chat about how Weight Away can help you I would love to hear from you.
At Weight Away I offer personalised healthy eating plans that will recognise your likes and dislikes; will allow you to eat ordinary food with your family and friends; will work with you tackle your trigger points for over or emotional eating and will enable you to lose weight healthily and keep the weight off.
In September if you join Weight Away and want to take advantage of a special offer you can pay for 3 months and receive December free.
In that time you could lose around 2 stone and just think how wonderful Christmas would be 2 stone lighter than you are now.